Live
Isle of Man · News & island lifemanx wire.Isle of Man news, as it happens
JurnaaTravel

Up to 18 Steam Packet sailings cancelled or at risk as weekend gales loom

Two Larne crossings on Friday are already off, every Saturday sailing is listed as at risk, and the operator warns all services could be hit until Sunday evening.

Share & save this story

FacebookWhatsApp

Sharing to Instagram

Use your phone’s share menu and choose Instagram if offered. Otherwise, we’ll download a headline card and copy the story link for you to add in Instagram. Add the link as a sticker or paste it into a message.

Manx Wire · https://manxwire.im/travel/2026-10-22-steam-packet-cancels-friday-larne-sailings-and-puts-five-crossings-at/

Douglas harbour's breakwater and the Tower of Refuge, with the town's seafront and the hills behind.
Douglas Harbour and the bay from Douglas Head. Photo: Zairon, CC BY 4.0

Two Steam Packet crossings between Douglas and Larne have been cancelled for Friday 23 October. As many as 18 sailings to and from the island are either off or in doubt over the weekend because of the weather forecast, Isle of Man Today has reported.

Gales are forecast for Friday, possibly reaching severe gale force for a time, and the disruption is expected to run into Saturday and Sunday. According to Manx Radio, the Steam Packet has warned that all of its services could be affected from Friday morning to Sunday evening, with gale to severe gale force winds forecast across the three days.

Isle of Man Today reported that the Ronaldsway Met Office sees Friday as the day most likely to bring serious disruption to travel. The UK Met Office has not yet given a name to the low-pressure system bringing the winds, the outlet said, but it is considering doing so.

The company confirmed that Manannan’s 06:45 sailing from Douglas to Larne has been cancelled, along with her 10:45 return. 3FM reported that most of Friday’s sailings are under threat from the expected severe gales.

The Friday sailings reported as cancelled or in doubt are:

  • 06:45 Douglas to Larne (Manannan): cancelled
  • 10:45 Larne to Douglas (Manannan): cancelled
  • 08:00 Douglas to Heysham (Ben-my-Chree): at risk
  • 13:45 Heysham to Douglas (Ben-my-Chree): at risk
  • Manannan’s sailings to and from Liverpool: in doubt

Isle of Man Today said a decision on both Ben-my-Chree sailings would be taken by 06:00 on Friday. 3FM reported the same deadline for the 08:00 departure.

According to Isle of Man Today, all of Saturday’s scheduled sailings are at risk of disruption or cancellation, and the risk extends into Sunday 25 October. The outlet said the last sailing currently listed as at risk is Manannan’s 19:15 service from Liverpool to the island. Ben-my-Chree’s 19:30 departure from Douglas to Heysham, later the same day, is the first not considered at risk.

Passengers booked to travel between Friday and Sunday are advised to check the latest sailing status with the Steam Packet before heading to the port, as decisions on at-risk crossings may come at short notice.

  • Steam Packet
  • Weather
  • Travel
  • Ferries
Comments: read or add yours

Have your say

0 comments · Community guidelines

    No comments yet. Start the cooish.